The Rain Reigns

16 March 2017 – You will have noticed my preoccupation — visitor that I am — with Vancouver rain. I’m in good company. Vancouverites obsess about it themselves. Even on hoardings.

Even on hoardings that you’d expect to be all perky green-&-white — in keeping with that coffee chain’s perky green-&-white siren/mermaid/??? logo. (Fierce online debate about what she really is.)

But no. The hoardings around this soon-to-open location are not at all perky, or green-&-white.

Perhaps because said chain got its start in rain-drenched Seattle, just south of the border, these hoardings celebrate ….

rain.

It may not be raining at this very moment, as you can see — but it did! And it will!

At first I’m just amused, but then I decide I like the artwork a lot. It conveys a great sense of curtains of rain, blurring each figure, dancing it in & out of focus.

I also like the fact that these pedestrians are not the least bit trendy. They are just head-down anonymous folk, dealin’ with the rain as best they can.

With the exception of the third figure!

Yes, there is a trio. And Number Three, she is not the least bit head-down.

Distinctly head-up, in fact. And so very pleased with herself.

As am I with myself, an hour or so later.

I have lingered by the fire in JJ Bean with my latte & my paperback, toasting happily in the warmth, and then returned to my temporary nest where I step out onto the balcony …

and go all “Wow-wow” at the dramatic post-rain sky.

1. There’s something pretty special about these, actually – I would think those rain streaks would take some work. I always like black and white street art too!

2. I could pick your post out of an anonymous lineup. Any day! Lovely figures in the rain – they remind me of a painting by Carlos Barrios that I bought at a local gallery, irresistibly drawn to it, as I am to these. What do you reckon?

3. Mary C

/  17 March 2017

The third one is dancing in the rain! If you have no clothes, no problem about getting wet so why not celebrate it 🙂

4. Love the paintings, hate the rain… one (a small one) reason I haven’t been anxious to visit my oldest son there. I can brave the cold but endless dreary days of rain. Thanks for sharing!

5. love the paint !!! ahh i love that

6. Vancouver also has more annoying traffic lights than any city on earth! Thank goodness for the paintings

7. ☺ wonderful ☺ happy for Penny!

8. Fabulous! 🙂