T-Time

23 May 2017 – Not T-Time as in Tea-Time, as in trad English tea. Even if I am just back from England.

No, I mean T as in Transition Time — time to move from T-for-tourist to T-for-townie. As in, Resident. As in, newly minted Vancouverite.

Some of the digging in is just plain boring. Swap the driver’s licence; swap Ontario medicare for the BC version… Yawn.

But most of bright sunny today was huge fun, and a huge way-finding adventure as well.

I don’t really know the city yet, so off I go, bright & early, with my Compass card (transit system card) and my downtown walking map for guidance. I’m bouncy, because I’ll be signing up for things I really want to do, instead of have to do.

Join the Vancouver Public Library, for example! The soaring foyer is full of people, at 9:50 in the morning, sipping coffee at café tables, checking their smart phones …

because the VPL isn’t yet open. We are all waiting for 10 a.m., when the doors will slide wide and welcome us in.

By 9:55, there is actually a crowd, pressing up to the doors.

I find this wonderful. Imagine! A line-up to enter a library!

I enter. I become a member. The new plastic card still warm in my fingers, I promptly sign up for a 31 May workshop on using library resources (physical & online) to research family history. Clearly my time with family in England has had impact.

Then I’m back out on Robson St. at Homer, fumbling for my map until I spy the info-tower on the corner. Thank goodness for all these i-towers, a godsend for tourists and new residents.

I check. And right there, under the West End heading, my next target: the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Hoof-hoof-hoof back west on Robson, right turn on Howe, and in I go.

I join. Another new bit of plastic for my wallet! And up I go, out onto the VAG’s beautiful outdoor patio, to celebrate with a latte.

It is so pretty out there: fresh breeze, balmy air, chamber music playing discreetly in the background, riotous plants tumbling out of their urns …

and generous umbrellas overhead, framed by blazing Japanese maples.

I sit there feeling wildly decadent. Maybe that’s because my latte has company: a slice of blood orange & thyme cake. Of course I don’t need the cake! But of course I can’t resist those exotic ingredients.

Fortunately, I have a third join-up destination on my list, one that can sop up the occasional slice of cake.

The YMCA.

Skytrain to West 49th, and a short walk east to the Langara Family YMCA. I grin all the way through my preview tour. The environment is so familiar, so comfy! I finger the various gym and pool times & activities. Lane-swimming every morning, 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.

I’m still not quite back in this time zone, meaning that I still wake up at “silly o’clock.” (Thank you, Rick, for the phrase.) Meaning I won’t be there at 5:30, but still in good time for an early swim.

After months of inaction, my swimming duffle bag is packed again, and ready for action.

1. It’s wonderful to see so many people waiting in line for the library. How fun to explore the city and start making it yours.

2. Congratulations on your new move–very exciting!

3. I’m happy for you! And as you make discoveries, I’ll be filing some away for future trips…not too far away!

4. Hello, I’ve just checked in to your blog as I do from time to time to discover that you are transplanted to Vancouver! Your move is Toronto’s loss but it will be fun to see the results of your explorations from your new home.

Good etiquette prevents me from adding a link here to our new blog about our work on the Leslie Street Spit. The tiny collective of artists I belong to was flattered to be included in a couple of your posts – about the poetic writing you found out there. On the other hand, we would like to invite you to visit our blog where we have begun to tell the story of our love letters to The Spit and to the many expressions of the creative instinct. Is there a way that we could get the address to you without being impertinent and posting it here?

With warm regards, appreciation for the ‘mentions’ and best wishes in your new home.
    The Stealth Art Collective

5. Apologies, when I copy-pasted my comment, I seem to have dropped part of the signature
    😦 which, in full is: Chris, for The Stealth Art Collective.

6. Patricia Davies

/  25 May 2017

Sounds like a perfect base for your new Vancouver life. Carry on! Enjoy the sun. It’s rainy and miserable here. Cheers Pat