Eyes on Granville

18 June 2017 – I’m out for the South Granville Art Walk, who could resist, with balloons, hoop-la, wine & cheese & what-have-you up & down the gallery-laden stretch of Granville between W. 15th & W. 6th or so, where the street pretty well becomes the bridge over False Creek.

I walk across from Cambie, virtuously resisting the pull of the Tandem Bike Café enroute, and launch my walk — my Walk! — right at West 15th.

With eyes on Granville, courtesy of the city traffic signal box at the corner. (I think that’s what these boxes house. Anyway, many feature photo-wrap artwork, and I’m all in favour.)

My own eyes equally wide, I start prowling my way north toward the water. Most of the galleries are closer to the water, so I waft in & out of some home décor shops as I go, cruise through Indigo, find everything very classy but resistible … I don’t even reach for my camera until I’m halfway north.

And then it’s for a map.

But a darn classy map.

And, for a newbie like me, darn useful as well.

There I am, I say to myself: I live above the “u” in Vancouver, close to that first short inlet of water (False Creek). At the moment, I am above the “c,” also closing in on False Creek.

Near-ish to that map, just north of West Broadway, I visit Kardosh Projects, with an exhibition of two artists I hadn’t previously known but like a lot, especially the brooding landscapes by Edward Epp.

Then I head down an alley, not expecting much, but look! what a reward.

Very loopy indeed, it’s the back-door silliness of Brian Scott Fine Art, so that’s good fun.

Then it’s on north another block, left turn on West 6th, I visit one good-taste (& very jammed) gallery and then into the building’s central courtyard, because I want to find the pousette gallery, which I know is somewhere upstairs at rooftop level.

So I’m elevator-hunting, but I get waylaid by the building’s architecture. I don’t yet know it bears the sleek name of WSix, I just know I really like the sleek lines — all concrete, copper, steel & strong angles.

I admire a door. They’re all identical. They are wonderful.

I tear myself away, get in the elevator — and find I’m admiring the elevator wall.

I do visit the pousette gallery, and it’s worth the visit. It is. I just find I’m more taken by the building that houses it.

Back outside, now on the fourth floor, I pay attention to the exterior catwalk that gives each unit its own direct front door. Vancouver’s relatively benign climate makes this design feature practicable, and how attractive it is.

Especially when, on the top level, you see through to the Coast Range mountains!

Then I also see the staircase. Perfect! I’ll walk down.

It takes me past a watchful dog-in-the-window.

Which reminds me of a photo I took of another dog-in-the-window — one I saw days earlier, over on Oak St. near W 13th.

Are they not unnervingly alike? (Yes, yes, there are also differences, I grant you that.)

My Art Walk began with a traffic signal box; I’m happy to see it can end with one as well.

The official upper-case-W Walk now over, I lower-case-w walk myself south/east toward home.

With a latte stop in the Tandem Bike Café! You knew I would.

Previous Post

1. Lovely!

2. I’m intrigued by what catches your eye, and by the name False Creek. What’s the story? Thanks for Edward Epp – I like the fingerpainting feel of some of his landscapes, and the say-a-lot-with-a-few-strokes of others. You also create appreciation for a building I wouldn’t have otherwise appreciated.

• A false creek in that it ends abruptly & is just an off-inlet from Burrard Inlet (I think I’ve got that right), not really a creek at all. Glad you also liked Edward Epp, I’d never heard of him until that walk. As for the building, I think in part I am still responding to what the milder climate makes possible in both building & public-space design.

• Something I hadn’t really thought of, despite the opportunity provided by the Warsaw connection. Epp’s gone into my collection of art I like, which I will one day do something with.

3. DJ

/  19 June 2017

I’ve just sent a message to my local bike shop — Phatmoose — in Ottawa, proposing that they add coffee to the repair list! When I come out to visit, PLEASE make sure that I’ve left my credit card behind if we visit pousette gallery, because my love for some of the art featured on the website surpasses my display space, and perhaps wallet, too!

4. I am learning so much from your blog! My family and I had a great visit in Vancouver this past weekend. We went to the Granville Market, but didn’t have much time–we were on a tour. I did get a chance to cross the Capilano bridge and I wrote about it on my blog this week. My husband and I will definitely be back with our son, Alex–we’re only a few hours away and we already have a long list of “must-dos.”

• I’m glad you had such a good visit. I remember that Capilano Bridge from a visit of my own some time back — I loved it.

5. Once again, your sensibility is so appealing. The gallery was nice but you liked the building more. Those two dogs – wow, bizarre! I totally get it. Upper and lower case walks – yes, that makes sense as well. Thank you! Have a good week.

6. My favorite is the Map . . I love maps as well. Also I like the relief on the wall. Your post is delightful.

• Yes I love maps, physical maps! And I’m so glad you enjoyed the post — & took time to tell me so, thanks for that

7. So enjoy your walks Penny and I have not caught up with you again – smiled about the dog similarities

8. Well what rubbish – of course I have met you again!