At Play

24 January 2021 – I had planned a different title. With the previous post in mind, I was going to call this More Light, Some Hoarfrost, & Another Crow. But then all that verbiage just seemed excessive.

Plus, the more I thought about the walks, the more the whole experience seemed to be all about play. Being playful with the light and the hoarfrost and the crow. Homo ludens and all that. But — and with due respect to this 1938 philosophical analysis of the importance of play to culture and society — we don’t need theory to convince us that playfulness is really helpful in times of stress. (Like, umm, right now.) Playing is fun, and fun is good.

On top of all that, Vancouver has just had a string of spectacularly bright days, motivating all nature, human beings included, to get out there and play. (Today it’s again oozing rain, but we’ll stick with the present historical tense, and celebrate recent sunshine.)

Out there, at play! For example, the person who picked up a big stick and scrolled this design all along the water’s edge, just below the Stanley Park sea wall between Second and Third Beach.

Also at play, one day later, these Barrow’s goldeneye ducks.

And now you will squint & mutter there are no ducks in the photo.

Well, there are, but you’ll have to expand the photo with your fingers, just there to the left of the tree trunk above the grass, where a white dot might have caught your attention… Got them? Good. They and a lot of other ducks (not to mention a whole flotilla of Canada Geese) were having a wonderful time, out there in the sparkling waters of False Creek, just east of the Cambie Bridge.

I took the photo, not for the ducks (because I didn’t see them either, not until later) but for the rich red gleam of the tree trunk, and the shining water beyond. I certainly felt larky and playful, so why not the ducks?

If you’re willing to play along (ooooo, I couldn’t resist), join me in discovering that the water itself is at play. With the help of ferry-boat ripples.

See? Boring old straight-line towers, turned upside-down and Gaudí-worthy in the reflections.

And then there’s the hoarfrost. Play with it.

Give it a palm-print …

or weave between lines of silver-tipped grasses as you walk Himy Syed‘s labyrinth opposite Hinge Park …

or blink at a very small leaf you’d otherwise not even notice, but here it is, shining up at you, playing compare/contrast with you, all glitter this edge and matt ochre that

or just silently applaud the versatility of clever old hoarfrost, which not only micro-touches one side of tiny leaves, but macro-rolls the full length of great long benches in Olympic Village.

Ah but then, alas, you can’t play with the hoarfrost any more. Not because it’s gone away, but because your focus has just been shattered.

And pretty near your eardrum along with it.

A crow! ‘Way up there, but making his opinion known.

Loudly.

Next Post

1. Beautiful weather – looks like spring. AMD the scroll-work on the beach; must have taken some effort but a good reminder that nothing lasts (including this pandemic).

2. i agree, more silly fun for everyone!

3. As usual, the photography is wonderful. I think you’re going to help me survive the pandemic.

4. I love walking at this difficult lockdown time, anxiety flies away and taking photographs helps my thoughts – looking for interesting views and little details. here in Wales we have had a drop of snow these past few days and we all went crazy ! I went for a walk.
    I must start sharing my landscape with you.

• Do please start sharing photos of your walks (or your day)! I visited your blog, couldn’t see how to subscribe — can you direct me to the right place? (I have a very Welsh surname to go with the Irish side: family to Canada from Bala via Manchester, so would love to see Wales in my reader)

5. Your posts are always a good read.
    I walk regularly and have several alternatives mostly involving visiting the sea but now one choice is closed as it is so wet. I must look out for something different.
    I will post some of my garden photos on my blog.

6. I’m a little late here…glad you had that string of gorgeous days..surely no one needed to be told to play…but I hope a little playfulness continues. Actually, for you, I think it always does. 🙂